Friday, April 1, 2011

Submissions # 6 & # 7

Protocol demands you send out a query to a literary agent and then wait for a response for whatever time they tell you it will take for them to get to your query.  Of course, some won't respond at all; in other words, silence is not golden, it's a kiss off.

Response time is generally from four weeks to three months, or never. If I followed the rules, I would be able to query anywhere from four to twelve agents a year. So far I've cheated by sending seven queries out in 2 months. You're supposed to confess if you've sent out multiple inquiries. Does that mean that the target agent won't read your submission?  I am generally law abiding and rule following, but I'm also impatient.  And, I'm old.  How much time do I have?
 
So last night, I sent out two queries, one right after the other. I did some research, so I wouldn't pester an agent that was looking for a cookbook with my 'speculative' fiction. Nevertheless, Donald Maass who is a renowned teacher of the craft and has his own agency,  and Naomi Akolekar from Spencerhill Associates both received my query.  Naomi received three chapters as well.  Every agent has a different list of requirements, and woe unto you if you send too much or too little.

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment