Monday, June 27, 2011

I'm Reading a Dummies Book

There I said it. Not only am I not smarter than a fifth grader, I'm a dummy when it comes to writing. After over 60 years of reading nearly non-stop, I thought I was qualified to write. Sorry, not true. However, if I hadn't put those years in, perhaps I wouldn't be able to write at all.  At least I can write badly.

The Writing for Dummies book is an MFA in a box. I know, just from this one book, that I've probably improved my skill level at least 30 to 40%. I'm using what I've learned to plan my latest WIP (that's work in progress), Lalya Bunch, which is turning out to be a vast improvement over my first three books.

I'm sorry I ordered it on Kindle.  I wish I had a physical copy so I can dog-ear the pages and write and highlight more easily. Yes, you can set bookmarks and highlight text on a Kindle, but it's not as visual.

But, if you are a writer without confidence or would like to try to write and are willing to admit you are a dummy, there is no better starting point to learn about how to plan and structure your work.

I promise next week I'll tell you what I am reading for fun. You'll be surprised.

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment